Technology On The Trail
Isn’t technology great? What would we do without our iPhones, iPods, Smartphones and MP3 Players? These devices have become a big part of our rides these days. But what I found on my ride was how could I successfully use and enjoy my iPhone with its Apps on the trail? Most of the time my mobile device stays in my hydration pack or my pocket and only comes out at each of my stops.
Here are things I began to think about …
- I am a mom – what if someone – one of my kiddos – needed to get ahold of me on the phone?
- I am a music lover – I could be listening to some tunes on the trail that I have down loaded onto my iPhone.
- I am a adventurer/rider – what about all the great Apps available to help me keep track of my ride or show me maps.
So I was excited to try out the Bracketron, Inc. All-Weather Soft Case Bike Mount which just hit the launch onto the market in July 2011. Well, I thought to myself … could this be too good to be true?? I was excited to test out the product. What a great 2011 mountain biking season I was going to have.
However a shoulder mishap lead to a season off the mountain bike, which was very disappointing because this product was staring me in the face and I knew it wanted to go out for a ride! But, I am happy to say I found two very eager participants and here are their product reviews.
Features of the All-Weather Soft Case Bike Mount:
- Monitor your speed and trip data with your device’s GPS or other bike apps
- Weather-resistant housing
- Height and angle adjustable
- Detachable case for security
- Quick lock & release
- Sets up in just seconds without tools
- Case includes 4 protective foam inserts that provide a snug fit for your device when inside
Tom’s Review of the All-Weather Soft Case Bike Mount:
- Simple Setup - Took less than two minutes to install; Installed on two different bikes.
- Extremely Sturdy – Was surprised how well it held up on a full suspension mountain bike – on very rugged single track terrain; very well designed.
- Practical – It’s easy to type on the phone while it’s installed on the bike. It’s cool to be able to text a friend, or post on facebook without having to grab it out of your pocket. As crazy as it may sound, I sent a text while I was riding, which was pretty cool. The iPhone is also very easy to take out of the case (you do not need to un-install it) – which is very handy to take a hone call or snap a few pictures along the way. Also if you stop for lunch you can pop your iPhone out in seconds.
- Highly Recommended - Overall, I would rate this product 5 stars out of 5. If you’re looking to carry your phone with you on any bike (road, mountain, etc) – this is an easy, low cost option. Coming from a rider of both road bikes and mountain bikes this product is easily a no brainer and best buy.
Doug’s Review of the All-Weather Soft Case Bike Mount:
- I’ve looked at 7 or 8 iPhone holders online. All had horror stories of the phone falling off the clamp. I LOVED this unit as it was completely enclosed. No chance it could fall out.
- Touch capable front screen was wonderful. I had complete access to my phone’s features.
- I’d happily pay $40 – $50 for it. Peace of mind knowing your phone is safe and accessible.
- The knob to tighten the clamp on the bike was on the small size. A larger knob would have been easier.
- The downside to the unit being totally enclosed is that it muted my music volume a bit. I could still hear the music but I found myself wishing it were louder.
It sounds like what C&S is hearing from Tom & Doug is a big “Thumbs Up” for this product!! We would recommend it for next season. While the All-Weather Soft Case Bike Mount can be found at Bracketron, Inc., you can also find this bike mount on Amazon.com, Best Buy, Target, Meijer, Sears, Kmart, Staples and many other distributers. Check on their site … in the “Where to Buy” section. THANKS TOM & DOUG!!